Welcome to Athena’s Table! We’re getting this party started right here, right now…but we’re going to need your help!
First, a little info:
WHO: Athena’s Table is for people who enjoy reading fiction and are open to reading beyond their regular repertoire.
WHAT: There’s a boatload of fiction out there in all kinds of genres – women’s, young adult, middle grade, fantasy, contemporary, sci-fi, historical, a combination of the above. It’s all fair game.
WHEN: I will announce the book of the month on the first day of that month, as well as the discussion, or Table Talk, date. (Don’t worry, you’ll have almost the whole month to finish.)
HOW: On the Table Talk date, I’ll post a review of the book, invite you to chime in via the comments section, and ask for suggestions for the next month’s Book of the Month. A couple days later, I’ll post the suggestions and you get to vote via a poll at the end of the post. The majority rules. If there is no majority, I reserve the right to make an executive decision (read: flip a coin). If there are no suggestions…seriously?
Important: Now would be a good time to click on the Follow button! That’s how you’ll get a heads-up on the important stuff when it happens. And by important stuff, I’m talking three posts a month (unless I score an interview with the author…that warrants an extra one!): 1. Announcement of the book of the month; 2. Table Talk (where we discuss the book); 3: A call to vote on the next month’s book.
Also, please know that when you leave a comment the first time, you’ll be asked for your e-mail address. I know it’s annoying, but it’s the only way to keep the spammers where they should be – partying with the rest of the bottom-feeders. I don’t collect that info, so no worries about me selling it or adding you to some obnoxious distribution list, etc.
WHY: Athena, for those who don’t know, was considered the goddess of wisdom by the ancient Greeks. Apparently she was pretty adept at multi-tasking, as she was also the goddess of courage, inspiration, strength, war strategy, law and justice, arts and crafts, and mathematics. So what happens when a badass like Athena invites ninja readers like us to sit down at her table and talk books? I’m guessing some crazy wild conversations! So come to the table with something to say. There’s always a place for you here.
Okay, we’re almost ready to kick this thing off, but before we do, we have to make one short dive into the crappy hamper (a.k.a. The Rules):
- Books should be fiction.
- Stay on target. Keep your posts about the book.
- Be respectful. You’re in a book club, so if you think a book sucks, you’re probably articulate enough to explain why you think it sucks. Go with that. (Chances are most of the books we pick are going to be awesome anyway because that’s how we roll, right?)
- Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Play nice or go home. Trolls will suffer the same fate as Medusa. Just sayin’.
- If you suggest a book and it’s not chosen, please feel free to submit it again. I have a feeling we’d like to read them all eventually, so keep trying!
- If you’re interested in a whole series, please submit one book at a time, as we’ll be selecting on a month-by-month basis.
- If no suggestions are submitted, I get to choose. (Mmmhahahaha!)
Now, LET’S DO THIS!
For details on where we are right now in the process – taking suggestions, voting, reading or discussing – click on the most recent post in the box on the right (Athena’s Table).
Ready? See you at the table!